Mature your PhD
THE CHALLENGE THAT CARES ABOUT PHD STUDENTS FUTURE
SECOND- AND THIRD-YEAR PhD STUDENTS REGISTERED IN ALSATIAN UNIVERSITIES:
Do you believe your thesis project has economic potential?
Then take part in the Mature your PhD challenge and you could be one of our 15 Laureates!
Conectus experts will help you assess market potential for your research in the second and third years of your PhD. You’ll also get personal coaching to help you better understand the challenges of intellectual property protection, plus two days of entrepreneurship training, organised with the support of SEMIA.
Once you’ve obtained your PhD, you may be eligible for funding from Conectus (conditions apply – see the rules). The funding could allow you to carry on working on your invention and turn it into a marketable technology. It could also cover your salary for 18-24 months.
You’ll gain new business skills and your research could catch the eye of businesses and potential investors
= a chance to land a private-sector job or found your own start-up!
Watch our challenge video!
Are you a second- or third-year PhD student registered in University of Strasbourg or in University of Haute Alsace? This brand-new challenge could increase your chances of professional integration by opening up opportunities in the private sector.
If your thesis is innovative and has economic potential, then this challenge is for you. Taking part is easy: complete the simple application pack, get your thesis director’s approval, and prepare a 15-minute pitch.
The challenge is a win-win for you, as a PhD student, and the research team you’re a part of.
You must get your thesis director to sign your application before entering. If he or you still need convincing, here are just some of the benefits you can expect:
FOR YOU, AS A PHD STUDENT, AND YOUR PROJECT TEAM:
- Access to business insights focused on the research topic, plus personal intellectual property advice.
- Potential funding (see the rules) after you’ve obtained your PhD. Your laboratory could get funding to pursue the project to reach the market and to cover your salary for 18 to 24 months.
- A research project that becomes a protected invention that will appeal to businesses and potential investors, plus the chance to land a job.
- A chance to showcase your promising research and put it in the spotlight.
The process in five steps
SHORTLIST OF APPLICATIONS
Our eagle-eyed, well-meaning experts will examine all applications in March 2019. If it is selected, you’ll go straight to pitching your project!
In April 2019, you’ll have 15 minutes to pitch your thesis project to a panel of socio-economic and academic experts, followed by a 15-minute Q&A session. The panel will select the 15 most innovative projects with the highest economic potential.
If you’re a laureate, you will be highlighted during an award ceremony in June during the Generation Startup Festival, organised by the University of Strasbourg.
TAKEOFF WITH CONECTUS
Your project is selected? Let’s get started for coaching!
HOW TO APPLY
Important: this challenge is open to second- and third-year PhD students only, registered in Alsatian universities. PhD students on the CIFRE programme cannot take part.
- Read the rules
Download the rules
- Get your thesis director’s approval
- Read and complete the application pack, then submit it before 28 February (see article 4 of the rules). Complete the short form below to receive your application pack:
in innovative research projects
+ funding raised
laboratories and businesses